Sunday 28 June 2015

on movie covers

Hi all! Today I'm going to be sharing with you a little anecdote from my own life, and we'll see where it goes from there.

So, as I've mentioned before, I am part of a small book club that reads a different book each month (as book clubs do). The book we're currently reading is Jesse Andrews' Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, which is also currently in theatres. The other day, my friend Gini texts me saying that she got a copy of the book and was about to start reading it. All is well.



Until a couple days later when I show up to their apartment and see that she has... A MOVE TIE IN EDITION. And, like the total dick that I am, I get all dramatic about it and am all, "How dare you get a movie cover blah blah blah".

Well. It turns out that her boyfriend had VERY KINDLY gifted her the book. And how the hell is he supposed to know that book nerds hate movie covers? It was also the only cover that was available at the store, so I seem like even more of an asshole (SORRY, TY).

You may be asking yourself right now, "Dude... Why are you so psychotic about this? Why do you care?" With all due respect, if you're asking this you probably aren't a huge book lover. Or maybe you are and I'm just a complete, irreversible asshole. Who knows.

Here's my issue: I love books. I love the words, and how they're sewn together. I love the fact that these books are literally the product of an author's blood, sweat, and tears. Their babies. Their life's work. And I can't help but get a little bit peeved when I see these copies at the bookstore almost sold out because they have an actor's face on them. Sorry, but I feel like if you're buying the movie tie-in edition of the book, you're no longer supporting the author; you're supporting the actors and the film crew. Which sucks, because none of that would exist if it weren't for the original work.

Also, why would you want the movie cover over the original? Tie-in editions are notoriously ugly. Can we just take a second to laugh at this tie-in cover of American Psycho?


I'd just like to take a moment to point out the fact that this cover is LITERALLY PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. Look at that reflection. HOW IS CHRISTIAN BALE'S FACE REFLECTED IN THE PART OF THE KNIFE THAT IS FACING AWAY FROM HIM??? These are the things that keep me up at night.

And how about this cover of New Moon?


I'm not joking when I say I literally cannot look at this cover without snorting. It's so bad. SO BAD. 

So, if you've read this whole post, wow. I'm impressed, and kind of terrified. Go out in the world and do something, okay? And please don't be offended by my nonsensical rants. You know I love you.



Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment