Thursday 30 July 2015

unpopular opinions

So I was browsing around the world of BookTube (as one does at 2:56 in the morning) and I came across a wonderful unicorn called the Unpopular Opinions Book Tag. It stuck out to me and I immediately wanted to do my own variation on it! If you'd like to watch the original video, as created by TheBookArcher, you can do so here.



1. A popular book or series that you didn't like. 
For this one, I have to go with To Kill a Mockingbird. And I'd like to clarify - it's not that I particularly didn't like the book, I just didn't feel as deep a connection to it as I know a lot of people did. I am planning to reread it in the future, so maybe that'll change my opinion. 





2. A popular book or series that everyone seems to hate but you love.
I actually couldn't think of a book that everyone hates that I love, but to me, Audrey, Wait! is severely underrated. Granted, it does have a 3.81 rating on Goodreads, but I gave it a 5 and I feel like it's not as popular as it deserves to be. 



3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you didn't want them to end up with or an OTP you don't like.
Harry and Ginny. I just didn't feel the connection and thought they were better as friends. But I honestly can't think of a substitute, I think I like Harry alone for some reason. I kind of just picture him, Ron, and Hermione all living in a house together and Harry being the cool, single uncle. 




4. A popular book genre you hardly reach for. 
Sci-fi! Especially the alien books like The 5th Wave and the Lux series. I just don't seem to gravitate toward them but I wish I could!  I do have a lot of these types of books on my shelf so I'm hopefully going to get to them eventually, and I did really enjoy the first book in the Lux series. It's just not a genre I'm usually drawn to right away.



5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like. 
Augustus Waters annoyed the shit out of me. Don't get me wrong, I loved TFiOS and I totally get that his personality is integral to the plot, but he's just not the kind of guy I would want to be stuck in a room with. I feel really shitty for saying that, to be honest. Is it bad juju to talk shit about a fictional dead guy? 






6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 
David Levithan. I've read a couple of his books and did really enjoy them, but he's never been one of those authors that I get excited about. Which is really strange, actually, because I love his writing style and the issues he tackles - something just hasn't clicked between us, I guess.





7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. 
The whole "I'm a mysterious and angsty bad boy but this ONE SPECIAL GIRL will turn me into a respectable gentleman" thing. Like, COME ON. Stop that. What's wrong with nice, normal guys, I ask you? I'm ready for us to all move on from this fad, thanks. 






8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading. 
Pretty much anything with vampires. My Twilight obsession gave me wayyyyy too much exposure to the whole vampire fad and now I've had enough of it to last me a lifetime. Series like the Vampire Academy just don't appeal to me. Over it. 



9. The saying goes, "The book is always better than the movie," but what movie or TV show adaptation did you like more than the book? 
Obviously I can't speak to Part 2 yet, but Mockingjay: Part 1 was fantastic! I don't even know if this counts as an unpopular opinion because it seems like this is pretty widely agreed upon. But still!

2 comments on "unpopular opinions "
  1. What a great tag! I liked Audrey, Wait! too. :) Really enjoyable YA read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this tag floating around booktube and I always found it to be very interesting, maybe I'll do it soon :D

    ReplyDelete